- Software Engineer (2017—)
Remix helps cities manage all aspects of transportation. I work on the transit team, building features that help transit planners make more informed decisions about transit in their cities.
Some things I’ve worked on include:
- improvements to the Jane travel isochrone feature. I led a project to revamp the isochrone UI, adding several new options to the React frontend, altering the Cython backend, experimenting with WebGL performance improvements to the isochrone visualization, and ensuring no regressions in API performance.
- more detailed costing estimates in the UI. This required building several new React UI components and breaking out intermediate costing calculation results from within the Rails backend.
I also worked on the transit scheduling product, mostly within the Cython/Python backend, but also in the React/Redux frontend, building:
- a system to generate multiple schedules in parallel, and present these possible solutions to transit schedulers in an intuitive way.
- a system for exporting Remix schedules in a 3rd-party software format, giving our customers more flexibility in deciding their software tools.
- Senior Software Engineer (2016—2017)
Spot recommends places according to the friends and experts you trust. I worked on the backend systems that support the mobile app, including:
- the API that powers the app and public website. This is a Node.js (Restify) app, backed by Postgres and Elasticsearch. It exposes a GraphQL-like interface to enable flexible and batch-efficient fetching of multiple (possibly nested) resources in a single request.
- the content ingestion pipeline. This is also a Node.js system, running on AWS, that discovers venue data and expert reviews by crawling and parsing the web.
- Senior Software Engineer (2013—2016)
- Software Engineer (2012—2013)
99designs is the world’s largest online graphic design marketplace, with a community of over a million registered designers.
I was the lead software engineer in 99designs’ Oakland, CA office. My team focused on the design- and designer-oriented parts of the platform. Some of the things we built include:
- Discover — showcases designs from the community and provides design inspiration for potential customers. This is a Rails app, running via Docker on AWS, and backed by hosted Elasticsearch.
- Profiles — individual designer portfolios. Designers can curate their cover images, crop and rearrange their designs, and offer fixed-price design services to potential clients.
I was previously the lead developer of Projects, a 1-to-1 design collaboration platform that has grown into a significant revenue generator for 99designs.
I also wrote articles for 99designs’ engineering blog, and open-sourced various internal libraries.
- Software Engineer (2009—2012)
Rubicon Water builds fully automated irrigation networks, including remotely-operated control gates, demand management systems, and online ordering for water consumers.
At Rubicon I built J2EE desktop and web applications for water authorities and consumers in regional Australia. I was the lead engineer of a JSF web interface to the SCADAConnect system, which provided monitoring and control of remote hardware. I also built desktop-based reporting tools for the Demand Management System, which gives water authorities high-level insight into irrigation needs.
- Software Consultant (2007—2009)
- Web Developer (2004—2007)
- Bachelor of Computing, University of Tasmania (2001—2003)
United States work authorisation
I’m eligible for the E-3 visa, an Australian-specific work visa which takes 1—3 weeks to get. See this E-3 infographic for more information.